Place:


Harthill  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harthill like this:

HARTHILL, a village and a parish in the district of Worksop, and W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the boundary with Notts, 1½ mile SW of KivetonPark r. station, and 6 W of Worksop; and has a postoffice under Worksop. The parish contains also the Hamlet of Woodall; and bears the name of Harthill-withWoodall. ...


Acres, 2, 9 40. Real property, £4, 559. Pop., 673. Houses, 147. The manor, with nearly all the property, belongs to the Duke of Leeds. Sandstone and magnesian limestone are quarried; and there are valuable seams of coal. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £686.* Patron, the Duke of Leeds. The church was originally Norman; has been more than once restored; and contains the family vault of the Osbornes. There are a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school.

Harthill through time

Harthill is now part of Rotherham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rotherham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harthill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harthill, in Rotherham and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12845

Date accessed: 21st August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harthill ".