Place:


Farrington Gurney  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Farrington Gurney like this:

FARRINGTON-GURNEY, a parish in Clutton district, Somerset; near the line of projected railway from Bristol to Frome, 8 miles SW of Twerton r. station, and 8i NNE of Wells. It has a post office under Bristol. Acres, 923. Real property, £6, 294; of which £594 are in mines. Pop., 482. Houses, 113. The manor belonged formerly to the Gourneys, and belongs now to the duchy of Cornwall. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Stone - Easton, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan ehapel.

Farrington Gurney through time

Farrington Gurney is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Farrington Gurney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Farrington Gurney in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12844

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Farrington Gurney ".