Place:


Harpham  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harpham like this:

HARPHAM, a village and a parish in Driffield district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the Hull and Scarborough railway, 1 mile N by E of Burton-Agnes r. station, and 5 NE of Great Driffield; was the birth-place of St. John of Beverley; and has a post-office under Hull. The parish comprises 1,970 acres. ...


Real property, £3,002. Pop., 274. Houses, 47. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the St. Quintins, from the Conquest till 1777, and has vestiges of their mansion. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Burton-Agnes, in the diocese of York. The church is mainly ancient, with a tower, but was partly rebuilt in 1827; and it has stained glass windows with the arms and pedigree of the St, Quintins, and contains three brasses with effigies, a stone coffin, a monument of a St. Quintin, and a very curious font. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Harpham through time

Harpham is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harpham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harpham, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12839

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harpham ".