Place:


Exford  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Exford like this:

EXFORD, a village and a parish in Dulverton sub-district, Somerset. The village stands on the river Exe, 8¼ miles NW by N of Dulverton, and 15 W by S of Watchet r. station; and has a post office under Taunton. The parish comprises 5, 699 acres. Rated property, £2, 338. Pop., 546. Houses, 104. ...


The property is much subdivided. Considerable tracts are diversified by deep vales and romantic hollows; and have many tumuli, here called castles. About one-half of the entire area is waste. Vestiges of ancient ironworks occur about 11 mile E of the church. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £280.* Patron, Peterhouse, Cambridge. The church has a lofty tower, and is good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £21.

Exford through time

Exford is now part of West Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Exford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Exford in West Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12834

Date accessed: 18th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Exford ".