Fenton  Staffordshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fenton like this:

FENTON, a chapelry and a sub-district in Stoke-upon-Trent parish and district, Stafford. The chapelry lies on the Hanley branch of the North Staffordshire railway, near the Grand Trunk canal. 1 mile SE of Stoke-upon-Trent; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Stoke-upon-Trent. ...

It was constituted in 1841. Pop., 5, 348. Houses, 1, 062. The property in it is not much divided. Fenton Hall is a principal residence. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the potteries, and many in mines. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £240.* Patron, the Rev. R. B. Baker. The church is very good.—The sub-district is conterminate with the conjoint township of Fenton-Culvert and Fenton-Vivian. Real property, £31, 772; of which £12, 042 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 5, 767; in 1861, 7, 882. Houses, 1, 573. The increase of pop. arose from the establishment of railway engineering works, the erection of two large iron furnaces, and the operations of a building society.

Fenton through time

Fenton is now part of Stoke on Trent district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stoke on Trent has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fenton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fenton, in Stoke on Trent and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 17th March 2018

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fenton ".