Place:


Halsam  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Halsam like this:

HALSHAM, a parish in Patrington district, E. R. Yorkshire; 1hf. m. N of Ottringham r. station, and 5½ ESE of Hedon. Post town, Ottringham, under Hull. Acres, 2, 877. Real property, £3, 777. Pop., 265. Houses, 45. The property is divided between two. The manor belongs to Sir T. A.Constable. ...


The surface is flat, and formerly was subject to flooding. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £760.* Patron, Capt. Shipton, R. N. The church is ancient but good; includes a chantry chapel; has a modern vestry and a tower; and contains sedilia, a pulpit of 1634, an octagonal granite font, and an alabaster effigies of Sir John Constable, of the middle of the 15th century. A handsome mausoleum of the Constable family, with dome and surmounting cross, is near the church. An endowed school and an hospital have £80.

Halsam through time

Halsam is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Halsam itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Halsam, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12811

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Halsam ".