Place:


Legbourne  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Legbourne like this:

LEGBOURNE, a village and a parish in Louth district, Lincoln. The village stands near the East Lincoln railway, 3 miles SE of Louth; and has a station on the railway. The parish comprises 1,910 acres. Post town, Louth. Real property, £3,922. Pop., 512. Houses, 122. The property is subdivided. ...


The manor belongs to John L. Fytche, Esq. A neat modern mansion, called the Abbey, occupies the site of a Cistertian nunnery which was founded by Robert Fitz-Gilbert, before the time of King John, and which has left no vestiges. Kenwick House is the seat of H. R. Allenby, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £250. * Patron, J. L. Fytche, Esq. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and is plain but good. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and U. Free Methodists, and a handsonme recent national school.

Legbourne through time

Legbourne is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Legbourne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Legbourne, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12794

Date accessed: 13th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Legbourne ".