Place:


Downhead  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Downhead like this:

DOWNHEAD, a parish in Shepton-Mallet district, Somerset; 2¾ miles NE of Cranmore r. station, and 5 ENE of Shepton-Mallet. Post town, Leigh-on-Mendip, under Frome. Acres, 1, 525. Real property, £1, 416. Pop., 249. Houses, 48. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Doulting, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church is later English.

Downhead through time

Downhead is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Downhead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Downhead, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12770

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Downhead ".