Place:


Torbay  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Torbay like this:

TOR BAY, a bay in the SE of Devon; extending from Hope Nose on the N to Berry Head on the S. It measures 4½ miles across the entrance, and 3½ to the head; makes a nearly semi-circular sweep into the land; presents and commands very fine scenery; was the landing-place of the Prince of Orange on 5 Nov. 1688; was a common resort and anchoring-ground of the channel-fleet under Lord St. Vincent; and was pronounced by Bnonaparte, when brought to it in the Bellerophon in 1815, to resemble Port Ferrajo in Corsica. See Torquay.

Torbay through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Torbay has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Torbay go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Torbay in Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1277

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Torbay ".