Place:


Kirkstead  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirkstead like this:

KIRKSTEAD, a parish in Horncastle district, Lincoln; on the river Witham, and on the Lincoln and Boston railway, at the junction of the branch to Horncastle, 7 miles SW of Horncastle. It has a station with telegraph on the railway, and apost office, under Horncastle. Acres, 1, 540. Real property, £1, 794. ...


Pop., 158. Houses, 26. The manor belongs to the Rev. James Holden. A Cistertian abbey was founded here in 1139, by Hugh Fitz Eudo; was given, at the dissolution, to the Duke of Suffolk; and is now represented by only small ruins, and by its very beautiful early English chapel. Moor Tower, an octagonal building, originally an out post to Tattershall Castle, is near. The living is a donative in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £40. Patron, the Rev. J. Holden. Charities, £6. Hugh de Kirkstead, a Benedictine-Cistertian-Bernardine monk, who wrote a history of the Cistertians, was a native; and Dr. John Taylor, author of the " Hebrew Concordance, '' was incumbent.

Kirkstead through time

Kirkstead is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirkstead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkstead, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12761

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirkstead ".