Place:


Grindleton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grindleton like this:

GRINDLETON, a village and a township in Mitton parish, and a chapelry partly also in Sawley parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the river Ribble and the binndary with Lancashire, 1¾ mile N of Chatburu r. station, and 3 NNE of Clitheroe. The township includes the village, and comprises 3, 733 acres. ...


Real property, £4, 569. Pop. in 1851, 826; in 1861, 666. house, 141. The decrease of pop. was caused by decline of employment in hand loom weaving. The chapelry was constituted in 1844; and its post town is Clitheroe, under Blackburn. Pop., 920. house, 183. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £100.* Patron, the Vicar of Mitton. The church is old and plain; and has a low square tower. There are a national school, alms houses for 84 widows, and other charities £29.

Grindleton through time

Grindleton is now part of Ribble Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ribble Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Grindleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grindleton, in Ribble Valley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12759

Date accessed: 22nd April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Grindleton ".