Place:


Kirkby on Bain  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirkby on Bain like this:

KIRKBY-UPON-BAIN, a township and a parish in Horncastle district, Lincoln. The township lies on the river Bain, 3¾ miles ENE of Kirkstead r. station, and 51/2 S by W of Horncastle; and has a post office under Horncastle. Real property, £2, 059. Pop., 363. Houses, 79. ...


The parish contains also the township of Tumby, and comprises 5, 110 acres. Real property, £6, 434. Pop., 683. Houses, 138. The manor of Kirkby belongs to the Earl of Fortescue; and that of Tumby, with Toft Grange, to Sir Joseph Hawley. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £553.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1802. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowes school with £80 a year.

Kirkby on Bain through time

Kirkby on Bain is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirkby on Bain itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkby on Bain, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12758

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirkby on Bain ".