Place:


Glass Houghton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Glass Houghton like this:

HOUGHTON-GLASS, a township in Castleford parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 2 miles NW of Pontefract. Acres, 1, 500. Real property, £2, 372; of which £15 are in mines, and £160 in quarries. Pop., 489. Houses, 113. Excellent limestone is here; also an excellent bed of sand, much used by glass makers and iron founders. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a Church of England preaching house and school.

Glass Houghton through time

Glass Houghton is now part of Wakefield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wakefield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Glass Houghton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Glass Houghton, in Wakefield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12732

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Glass Houghton ".