Place:


Pemberton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pemberton like this:

PEMBERTON, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Wigan parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands near the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 2½ miles W of Wigan; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office‡ under Wigan. The township comprises 2, 868 acres. ...


Real property, £31, 319; of which £19, 370 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 5, 252; in 1861, 6, 870. Houses, 1, 314. The chapelry is more extensive than the township; contains Newtown, Smithy-Brook, Goose-Green, and Lamberhead-Green; and was constituted in 1838. Pop. in 1861, 8, 853. Houses, 1, 696. There are several good modern residences, an ancient half-timbered hall, coal-mines, stone-quarries, brick manufactories, cotton mills, and a famous spring. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300. Patron, the Rector of Wigan. The church was built in 1832, and is a large brick edifice. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a mechanics' institute, four national schools, and charities £14.—The sub-district contains also twoother townships. Acres, 6, 263. Pop., 10, 435. Houses, 2,007.

Pemberton through time

Pemberton is now part of Wigan district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wigan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pemberton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pemberton, in Wigan and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1272

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pemberton ".