Place:


Gateforth  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gateforth like this:

GATEFORTH, a township-chapelry in Brayton parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 1¾ mile SSE of Hambleton r. station, and 4¼ WSW of Selby. Post town, Hambleton, under Selby. Acres, 1, 410. Real property, £2, 437. Pop., 174. Houses, 35. The property is all in one estate. Gateforth Hall is the seat of H. Osbaldeston, Esq. Gate-forth Common is a meet for the Bramham Moor hunt. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £105. Patron, H. Osbaldeston, Esq. The church is modern.

Gateforth through time

Gateforth is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gateforth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gateforth, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12699

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gateforth ".