Place:


East Cranmore  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Cranmore like this:

CRANMORE (East), a parish in Shepton-Mallet district, Somerset; on the East Somerset railway, under the Mendip hills, near Cranmore r. station, 4 miles E of Shepton-Mallet. Post town, West Cranmore, under Shepton-Mallet. Acres, 1, 054. Real property, £1, 354. Pop., 70. Houses, 13. Oolite, of fine quality for building, is quarried. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Doulting, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church was rebuilt in 1850.

East Cranmore through time

East Cranmore is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Cranmore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Cranmore, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12697

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Cranmore ".