Place:


Kettlethorpe  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kettlethorpe like this:

KETTLETHORPE, a township and a parish in Gainsborough district, Lincoln. The township lies on the Fosse dyke, adjacent to the river Trent at the boundary with Notts, 3 miles W by N of Saxelby r. station, and 9 S by E of Gainsborough. Real property, £2, 744. Pop., 209. Houses, 47. The parish contains also the township of Fenton, and the hamlet of Laughterton; and its post town is Newton-upon-Trent, near Newark. ...


Acres, 3, 280. Real property, £5, 738. Pop., 486. Houses, 107. The manor and nearly all the land belong to W.Amcotts, Esq. A wharf of the navigable Trent is adjacent: and malting, brick making, and tile making are carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £569.* Patron, W.Amcotts, Esq. The church is a neat stone structure, with a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £22.

Kettlethorpe through time

Kettlethorpe is now part of West Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kettlethorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kettlethorpe, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12692

Date accessed: 22nd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kettlethorpe ".