Place:


Corton Denham  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Corton Denham like this:

CORTON-DENHAM, a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset; 2¼ miles E of Marston r. station, and 4 N of Sherborne. Post town, Marston-Magna, under Sherborne. Acres, 1, 371. Real property, with Sandford-Orcas, £5, 232. Pop., 413. Houses, 82. The property is divided among a few. Roman coins have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £320.* Patron, Lord Portman. The church is Norman and good: consists of nave, aisle, chancel, and porch, with a tower; and contains an ancient font. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Corton Denham through time

Corton Denham is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Corton Denham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Corton Denham in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12689

Date accessed: 21st August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Corton Denham ".