Place:


Bowness on Windermere  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bowness on Windermere like this:

BOWNESS, a small town in Undermilbeck township, Windermere parish, Westmoreland; on a small bay of Windermere lake, opposite Belle Isle, 1½ mile SSW of Windermere village. It has a post office‡ under Windermere, three fine hotels, a handsome grammar school built in 1836, and the parish church of Windermere,-a long, low, ancient edifice with a square tower. ...


It has been much improved and extended since the opening of the Windermere railway in 1847; contains many new neat houses; and is a grand centre of tourists visiting the lakes. A good quay and small pier are at it; two steamers ply from it on the lake; and some trade is carried on in the exporting of slate. Pop., about 1,100.

Bowness on Windermere through time

Bowness on Windermere is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bowness on Windermere itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bowness on Windermere, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1268

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bowness on Windermere ".