Place:


Congresbury  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Congresbury like this:

CONGRESBURY, a village and a parish in Axbridge district, Somerset. The village stands on the river Yeo, 2 miles S by E of Yatton r. station, and 6½ N of Axbridge: has a post office, of the name of Congresbury, Somerset; was once a market-town; and still has a fair on 14 Sep. A college is said to have been founded at it, in 711, by St. ...


Congar, an Eastern prince; and an interesting ancient market cross is still here, on five flights of steps. The parish comprises 4, 443 acres. Real property, £12, 203. Pop., 1, 190. Houses, 267. The property is much subdivided. Part of the land is marshy. The living is a vicarage, united with St. Lawrence-Wick, in-the dio. of Bath and Wells. Value, £800.* Patron, R. Hunt, Esq. The church is later English. The vicarage of St. Ann is a separate benefice; and the church of it was built in 1865. There are two dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £14.

Congresbury through time

Congresbury is now part of North Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Congresbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Congresbury in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12674

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Congresbury ".