In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fulford like this:
FULFORD-AMBO, a parish in York district, E. R. Yorkshire; on the river Ouse, near the Great Northern railway, 2 miles S of York. It consists of the townships of Fulford-Gate and Fulford-Water; and has a post office, of the name of Fulford, under York. Acres of F-G., 1, 630; of F-W., 432. Real property of both, £11, 363. Pop. of F-G., 2, 443; of F-W., 35. Houses, 445 and 3. The York cemetery, the York cavalry barracks, and the Quakers' lunatic asylum, called the Retreat, are here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £96. Patron, the Rev. Samuel Key. The church was rebuilt in 1866, at a cost of £5, 000. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £22.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Fulford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of York. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Fulford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fulford, in York and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Fulford".