Place:


Clutton  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clutton like this:

CLUTTON, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a district in Somerset. The village stands near Highbury camp, 3 miles S of Pensford, and 6 ½ SW of Saltford r. station; and has a post office under Bristol. A railway in course of formation in 1869, from Frome to Bristol, passes near the village. ...


The parish comprises 1, 636 acres. Real property, £5, 735; of which £1, 015 are in mines, and £152 in quarries. Pop., 1, 149. Houses, 252. The property is all in one estate. There are extensive collieries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £340.* Patron, the Earl of Warwick. The church is Norman, with a modern tower; and there are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists. A school has £20 from endowment; and other charities £29. -The sub-district contains the parishes of Clutton, Chelwood, Farnborough, Timsbury, Paulton, and High Littleton. Acres, 7, 684. Pop., 6, 663. Houses, 1, 459. -The district comprehends also the sub-district of Midsomer-Norton, containing the parishes of Midsomer-Norton, Farrington, Gurney, Stone-Easton, Chilcompton, Radstock, and Camerton; the sub-district of Chew-Magna, containing the parishes of Chew-Magna, Chew-Stoke, Stowey, Norton-Malreward, Stanton-Drew, Publow, and St. Thomas-in-Pensford, and the ville of Norton-Hawkfield; and the sub-district of Harptree, containing the parishes of East Harptree, West Harptree, Nempnett-Thrubwell, Ubley, Litton, Compton-Martin, Cameley, Hinton-Blewett, and part of Chewton-Mendip. Acres, 47, 026. Poor-rates in 1862, £12, 847. Pop. in 1841, 25, 190; in 1861, 23, 721. Houses, 5, 017. Marriages in 1860, 113: births, 753, -of which 36 were illegitimate; deaths, 443, -of which 130 were at ages under 5 years, and 26 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1, 098; births, 7, 671; deaths, 4, 551. The places of worship in 1851 were 31 of the Church of England, with 9, 768 sittings; 4 of Independents, with 665 s.; 4 of Baptists, with 584 s.; 1 of Quakers, with 100 s.; 26 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 6, 195 s.; 6 of Primitive Methodists, with 530 s.; 6 of Wesleyan Reformers, with 840 s.; 1 of Brethren, with 100 s.; and 1 of Roman Catholics, with 31 attendants. The schools were 33 public day schools, with 2, 480 scholars; 52 private day schools, with 1, 020 s.; 53 Sunday schools, with 4, 299 s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 6 s. The workhouse is in Clutton.

Clutton through time

Clutton is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clutton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clutton in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12615

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clutton ".