Place:


Forcett  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Forcett like this:

FORCETT, a hamlet in Richmond district, and a parish partly also in Teesdale district, and all in N. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet lies on the N border of the county, 3½ miles S of Gainford r. station, and 7 N of Richmond. Acres, 1, 572. Real property, £2, 655. Pop., 167. Houses, 30. The parish contains also the hamlet of Carkin, and the townships of Eppleby, Barforth, and Ovington; the last of which has a post office under Darlington. ...


Acres, 5, 815. Real property, £8, 516. Pop., 777. Houses, 161. Forcett Hall is the seat of the Mitchells. A railway to Forcett, 8 miles long., from the Darlington and Barnard-Castle line, was authorised in 1865. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £139.* Patron, the Vicar of Gilling. The church is ancient; and there is a Free Methodist chapel.

Forcett through time

Forcett is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Forcett itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Forcett, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12609

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Forcett ".