Place:


Clapton  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clapton like this:

CLAPTON, a parish in Bedminster district, Somerset; on the Taunton canal, 3½ miles NNW of Bourton r. station, and 7½ W of Bristol. Post town, Portbury, under Bristol. Acres, 1, 066. Real property, £2, 145. Pop., 173. Houses, 27. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £250. Patron, Walter Bernard, Esq. The church is early English, with a Norman tower.

Clapton through time

Clapton is now part of North Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clapton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clapton in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12601

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clapton ".