Place:


Potters Bar  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Potters Bar like this:

POTTERS-BAR, a village and a chapelry in South Mimms parish, Middlesex. The village stands near the Great Northern railway, and near the boundary with Herts, 1 mile S E of a r. station of its ownname, and 3 N N E of Barnet; and has a post-office‡under Barnet. The chapelry contains also the hamlets of Gannick-Corner and Bentley-Heath, and was constituted in 1835. ...


Pop., 959. Houses, 196. Wrotham Park is the seat of the Earl of Strafford. Salisbury House is a boarding-school for young gentlemen. There are several good residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £170.* Patron, the Bishop of London. The church was built in 1835; is in the Norman style; and contains a fine monument to G. by ng, Esq., and a tablet by Westmacott to Lady Agnes by ng. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and an infant school.

Potters Bar through time

Potters Bar is now part of Hertsmere district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hertsmere has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Potters Bar itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Potters Bar, in Hertsmere and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1260

Date accessed: 19th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Potters Bar ".