Place:


Flaxton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Flaxton like this:

FLAXTON, a township-chapelry and a sub-district, in the district of York and N. R. Yorkshire. The chapelry is in Bossall parish; lies adjacent to the York and Scarborough railway, near the river Foss, 9 miles NNE of York; and has a station on the railway, and two post offices under York, the one called Flaxton, the other called Flaxton Station. ...


It is sometimes called Flaxton-on-the-Moor. Acres, 1,827. Real property, £2, 951. Pop., 367. Houses, 86. About 300 silver Saxon coins, together with other relics, were found here in 1807. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value-£250. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.—The sub-district contains two parishes and part of a third. Acres, 13, 159. Pop., 1, 677. Houses, 354.

Flaxton through time

Flaxton is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Flaxton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Flaxton, in Ryedale and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12598

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Flaxton ".