Place:


Churchill  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Churchill like this:

CHURCHILL, a parish in Axbridge district, Somerset; under the Mendip hills, 3½ miles S by E of Yatton r. station, and 4 N of Axbridge. It has a post office under Congresbury, Somerset. Acres, 2, 397. Real property, £5, 504. Pop., 810. Houses, 168. The property is much subdivided. Roger de Leon or de Courcil, the ancestor of the Churchills, settled here at the Conquest. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £98. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is later English, and has a pinnacled tower. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £32.

Churchill through time

Churchill is now part of North Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Churchill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Churchill in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12595

Date accessed: 17th July 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Churchill ".