Place:


Fishlake  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fishlake like this:

FISHLAKE, a township and a parish in Thorne district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Dearne, and on the Doncaster and Keadby railway, 1 mile ENE of Stainforth r. station, and 2 W by S of Thorne; and includes the villages of Fosterhouses and Hay-Green. Acres, 2, 950. Real property, £5, 689. ...


Pop., 585. Houses, 144. The parish contains also the chapelry of Sykehouse; and its post town is Stainforth, under Doncaster. Acres, 6, 170. Real property, £11, 424. Pop., 1, 208. Houses, 286. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £375.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is old and interesting, with Norman porch and battlemented tower; but was recently in disrepair. The vicarage of Sykehouse is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. An endowed school has £103; and other charities £70.

Fishlake through time

Fishlake is now part of Doncaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Doncaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fishlake itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fishlake, in Doncaster and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12585

Date accessed: 16th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fishlake ".