Place:


Finghall  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Finghall like this:

FINGALL, or Finghall, a township and a parish in Leyburn district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Northallerton and Leyburn railway, 4¼ miles E by S of Leyburn; and has a station, of the name of Finghall Lane, on the railway. Acres, 534. Real property, £2, 396. Pop., 111. ...


Houses, 18. The parish contains also the townships of Akebar, Hutton-Hang, and Burton-Constable; and its post town is Thornton-Steward, under Bedale. Acres, 4, 436. Real property, £5, 634. Pop., 406. Houses, 72. The property is divided among four. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £342.* Patron, M. Wyvill, Esq. The church is ancient but good, and contains monuments of the Wyvills. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £5.

Finghall through time

Finghall is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Finghall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Finghall, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12580

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Finghall ".