Place:


Goodnestone  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Goodnestone like this:

GOODNESTONE, or Gunston, a village and a parish in Eastry district, Kent. The village stands 1½ mile E by N of Adisham r. station, and 6 WSW of Sandwich; and has a post office under Sandwich, and a fair on 25 Sept. The parish comprises 1,864 acres. Real property, £3, 889. Pop., 344. ...


Houses, 69. Goodnestone Park is the seat of Sir B. W. Bridges, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £201. Patron, Sir B. W. Bridges, Bart. The church has an early English aisle, and a Kentish late English tower, but is mainly modern; and it contains brasses of 1423 and 1507.

Goodnestone through time

Goodnestone is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Goodnestone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Goodnestone, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12567

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Goodnestone ".