Place:


Chewton Mendip  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chewton Mendip like this:

CHEWTON-MENDIP, a village in Wells district, and a parish in Wells and Clutton districts, Somerset. The village lies under the Mendip hills, 5½ miles NNE of Wells r. station; has a post office under Bath; is a seat of petty sessions; was the Ciwtune of Alfred's will; and gives the title of Viscount to the Earl of Waldegrave. ...


The parish includes also the tything of North Widcombe. Acres, 6, 514. Real property, £7, 709. Pop., 976. Houses, 217. The property is subdivided. Chewton Priory is a seat on the site of an ancient monastery. There are lead mines, lime works, and quarries. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Emborough, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; and, till 1867, was united also with Farington-Gurney and Stone-Easton. Value, £420.* Patron, R. P. Philpott, Esq. The church is partly Norman, and has a very fine late English tower, 126 feet high. There are chapels for Wesleyans and U. Free Methodists. Charities, £31.

Chewton Mendip through time

Chewton Mendip is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chewton Mendip itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chewton Mendip, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12560

Date accessed: 21st August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chewton Mendip ".