Place:


Chelwood  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chelwood like this:

CHELWOOD, a parish in Clutton district, Somerset; 2 miles SE of Pensford, and 5 SSW of Saltford r. station. It has a post office under Bristol, and a fair on 24 June. Acres, 1, 077. Real property, £1, 715. Pop., 180. Houses, 41. The property is divided between two. The surface is diversified with hill and vale. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £200.* Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is ancient, and was recently restored. There is an endowment of £87 a year for an Independent chapel and for apprenticing.

Chelwood through time

Chelwood is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chelwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chelwood in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12556

Date accessed: 22nd September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chelwood ".