Place:


Haugham  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Haugham like this:

HAUGHAM, a parish in Louth district, Lincoln; 3 miles Sw of Legbourne r. station, and 4 S of Louth. Post town, Louth. Acres, 1, 907. Real property, £1, 848. Pop., 115. Houses, 23. The property is all in one estate, and belongs to Henry Chaplin, Esq. An alien priory, a cell to the Benedictine abbey of St. ...


Mary San Chester; was transferred, in the time of Richard II., to the Carthusian priory of St. Ann, near Coventry; and was given, at the dissolution, to J. Bellow and J. Broxholme. A rivulet, called Skirbeck, issues from a hill in this parish; has the capacity of a torrent for several weeks after heavy rain; and ceases to flow in dry weather. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £176.* Patron, H. Chaplin, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1840, at a cost of £2, 500; is in the pointed style; and consists of nave and chancel, with tower and crocketted spire. A neat parsonage was erected in 1861.

Haugham through time

Haugham is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Haugham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haugham, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12535

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Haugham ".