Chaffcombe  Somerset


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chaffcombe like this:

CHAFFCOMBE, a parish in Chard district, Somerset; on the Chard canal, 2 miles NE of Chard r. station, and 3¼ S by W of Ilminster. Post Town, Ilminster. Acres, 999. Real property, with Knowles-St. Giles, £2,896. Pop., 246. Houses, 50. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £143. Patron, Earl Poulett. The church is early English, and was restored in 1859.

Chaffcombe through time

Chaffcombe is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chaffcombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chaffcombe in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 22nd March 2018

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chaffcombe ".