Place:


Camerton  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Camerton like this:

CAMERTON, a parish in Clutton district, Somerset: on the Fosse way and the Radford canal, 5½ miles SSW of Twerton r. station and 6½ SW of Bath. An act was passed in 1863 to construct a railway from the Great Western at Bristol to Radstock, with a branch to Camerton. The parish includes part of Carlingcott hamlet; and its Post Town is Timsbury, under Bath. ...


Acres, 1,748. Real property, £6,532. Pop., 1,368. Houses, 279. The property is divided among a few. Camerton Park is the seat of John Jarrett, Esq. Coal is worked. Roman pottery, glass, and other relics, and remains of Roman villas, have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £481.* Patron, John Jarrett, Esq. The church is good; and contains several very fine tombs of the Carews. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans.

Camerton through time

Camerton is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Camerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Camerton in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12528

Date accessed: 16th January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Camerton ".