Carhampton  Somerset


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Carhampton like this:

CARHAMPTON, a village, a parish, and a hundred in Somerset. The village stands near the coast, 1¼ mile ESE of Dunster, and 4 W of Watchet r. station. It dates from ancient times, under the name of Carumtune; and is a seat of petty sessions. The parish includes also the hamlet of Rodhuish; and is in the district of Williton. ...

Post Town, Dunster, under Taunton. Acres, 5,724; of which 525 are water. Real property, £6,076. Pop., 706. Houses, 141. The property is divided among a few. The surface is diversified with glen and hill. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Rodhuish, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £182. Patron, J. F. Luttrell, Esq. The church is ancient, interesting, and good; and contains a screen. Charities, £9.-The hundred contains sixteen parishes. Acres, 60,350. Pop., 8,502. Houses, 1,674.

Carhampton through time

Carhampton is now part of West Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carhampton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carhampton in West Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 19th March 2018

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carhampton ".