In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Moss Side like this:
MOSS-SIDE, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The village lies 2 miles S by E of Manchester, is neatly built, and has an ornamental public park. The township comprises 430 acres. Real property, £20,039. Pop. in 1851,943; in 1861, 2,695. Houses, 435. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the extension of buildings and other improvements. -The chapelry is much larger than the township, and was constituted in 1854. Polp. in 1861,6,114. Houses, 1,114. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £717. Patrons, the Representatives of R. Gardiner, Esq. The church is modern. There are national and other schools.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Moss Side has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Manchester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Moss Side and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Moss Side, in Manchester and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Moss Side".