Place:


Burrington  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burrington like this:

BURRINGTON, a village and a parish in Axbridge district, Somerset. The village stands amid romantic scenery, at the northern skirt of the highest part of the Mendip hills, 5 miles NE by N of Axbridge, and 5½ SE of Yatton r. station; and has a post office, of the name of Burrington, Somerset. ...


The parish comprises 2,009 acres. Real property, £2,455. Pop., 477. Houses, 106. The property is divided among a few. A romantic rocky hollow leads from the village up the Mendips; and is flanked by ribbed masses of mountain limestone. A descending cavern, at the side of this, about a ¼ of a mile from the village, was discovered in 1795 to contain about fifty human skeletons, supposed to have been entombed here by the ancient Britons; and discovered afterwards to contain bones of horses, sheep, and other animals, supposed to have taken refuge in it after it ceased to be a place of sepulture. An earthwork, called Burrington Ham, occurs on a hill further up; and is Thought to have been a scene of Druidical rites. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £147.* Patrons, the Inhabitants. The church is later English, and was restored in 1856. There are a national school and charities £18.

Burrington through time

Burrington is now part of North Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burrington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burrington in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12502

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burrington ".