Place:


Tong  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tong like this:

TONG, a township and two chapelries in Birstall parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 1 mile NNE of Birkenshaw r. station, and 4¼ ESE of Bradford; and contains a village of its own name, and five hamlets. Post town, Leeds. Acres, 2,644. Real property, £9,695; of which £3,527 are in mines. ...


Pop. in 1851, 2,797; in 1861, 3,035. Houses, 664. The manor, with T. Hall, belongs to Col. Tempest.-The chapelries are Tong and Tong-Street; and they are jointly conterminate with the township. The living of the former is a vicarage, and that of the latter is a p. curacy, in the diocese of Ripon. Value of the former, £380;* of the latter, not reported.* Patron of both, Col. Tempest. T. church was rebuilt in 1727. There are three Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £21.

Tong through time

Tong is now part of Bradford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bradford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tong itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tong, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1247

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tong ".