Place:


Bierley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bierley like this:

BIERLEY (North), a township in Bradford parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 2 miles SE of Bradford. It includes the village of Wibsey, the hamlets of Bierley-Lane, Carr-Lane, Hilltop, Odsall-Moor, Woodhouse-Hill, and Folly-Hall, and the populous districts of Low-Moor and Slack. Acres, 3,090. Real property, £35,139; of which £1,137 are in mines, and £13,384 in iron-works. Pop. in 1841, 9,512; in 1861, 12,500. Houses, 2,663. There are numerous good residences, three churches, five dissenting chapels, and three national schools.

Bierley through time

Bierley is now part of Bradford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bradford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bierley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bierley, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1246

Date accessed: 18th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bierley ".