Place:


Eskdaleside  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eskdaleside like this:

ESKDALESIDE, or Sleights, a township-chapelry in Whitby parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on the river Esk, and on the Pickering and Whitby railway, 4 miles SW by W of Whitby. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Whitby, both of the name of Sleights. Acres, 3, 740. Real property, £3, 060; of which £420 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 814. Houses, 164. Building-stone is worked; mineral springs occur; and alum is found. There was anciently a small cell here to Whitby abbey. The living is a p. curacy, united with the p. curacy of Ugglebarnby, in the diocese of York. Value, £329.* Patron, the Rev. T. Walker. The church was built in 1767. Charities, £55.

Eskdaleside through time

Eskdaleside is now part of Scarborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scarborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eskdaleside itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eskdaleside, in Scarborough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12437

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eskdaleside ".