In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashcott like this:
ASHCOTT, a parish in Bridgewater district, Somerset; near the Glastonbury railway, 5 miles WSW of Glastonbury. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Bath; and includes the hamlet of Pedwell. Acres, 2,272. Real property, £4,328. Pop., 817. Houses, 183 The manor belonged to Glastonbury Abbey. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Shapwick, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church was restored in 1860. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £70.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ashcott has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sedgemoor. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ashcott and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashcott, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ashcott".