In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashbrittle like this:
ASHBRITTLE, a parish in Wellington district, Somerset; on the verge of the county, and on the river Tone, near the Western canal, 3¼ miles from the Bristol and Exeter railway, 6 miles W by S of Wellington. It includes the tything of Greenham; and its Post Town is Wellington, Somerset. Acres, 2,489. Real property, £3,715. Pop., 525. Houses, 100. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £450.* Patron, J. Quicke, Esq. The church is mainly old, partly new. There are a chapel of ease, built in 1860, and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ashbrittle has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Taunton Deane. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ashbrittle and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashbrittle, in Taunton Deane and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ashbrittle".