Place:


Great Gonerby  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Gonerby like this:

GONERBY (Great), a village and a parish in Grantham district, Lincoln. The village stands near the Great Northern railway, 2 miles NNW of Grantham; is large and well built; and has a post office under Grantham. The parish comprises 2, 800 acres. Real property, £6, 243. Pop., 1, 145. Houses, 247. ...


The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Earl Brownlow. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Grantham. The church is interesting; has an embattled tower, with crocketted spire; and contains an altar-tomb of 1500. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a national school in the Tudor style, and charities £22.

Great Gonerby through time

Great Gonerby is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Gonerby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Gonerby, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12323

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Gonerby ".