Place:


Dishforth  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dishforth like this:

DISHFORTH, a township-chapelry and a sub-district in Ripon district and N. R. Yorkshire. The chapelry is in Topcliffe parish; lies near Leeming-Lane, 2¾ miles SSE of Baldersby-Gate r. station, and 4 NNW of Borough-bridge; and has a post office under Thirsk. Acres, 1, 714. Real property, £3, 636. ...


Pop., 401. Houses, 84. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £80. Patron, the Vicar of Topclifle. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans. -The sub-district contains eleven townships, belonging to five parishes. Acres, 14, 341. Pop., 1, 794. Houses, 378.

Dishforth through time

Dishforth is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dishforth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dishforth, in Harrogate and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12302

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dishforth ".