Place:


Warley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Warley like this:

WARLEY, a township in Halifax parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 3 miles W of Halifax. It contains a village of its own name; includes five hamlets, part of Sowerby-Bridge town, and parts of Luddenham and Luddenham-Foot villages; carries on worsted and woollen manufactures in several establishments; adjoins other extensive manufactories; and has a post-office under Halifax, 5 dissenting chapels, and a partially endowed national school. Acres, 3,980. Real property, £20,505. Pop., 6,482. Houses, 1,370. The manor belongs to S. W. L. Fox, Esq. There are stone quarries and Druidical remains.

Warley through time

Warley is now part of Calderdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Calderdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Warley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Warley, in Calderdale and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1229

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Warley ".