Place:


Kirk Deighton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirk Deighton like this:

DEIGHTON (Kirk), a township and a parish in Knaresborough district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies near the river Nidd and the Harrowgate railway, 1¾ mile N of Wetherby; and includes the hamlet of Igmanthorpe. Acres, 2, 204. Real property, £3, 202. Pop., 364. Houses, 77. The parish contains also the township of North Deighton; and its post town is Wetherby, under Tadcaster. ...


Acres, 3, 611. Real property, £5, 213. Pop., 485. Houses, 99. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £900.* Patron, the Rev. J. W. Geldart. The church is very good. There is a Wesleyan chapel. A school has £30 from endowment; and other charities £25.

Kirk Deighton through time

Kirk Deighton is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirk Deighton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirk Deighton, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12288

Date accessed: 21st February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirk Deighton ".