Place:


Fosdyke  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fosdyke like this:

FOSDYKE, a parish in Boston district, Lincoln; on Fosdyke Wash, at the mouth of the river Welland, adjacent to the Peterborough and Lincoln railway, 2 miles S of Algarkirk and Sutterton r. station, and 7½ S by W of Boston. It has a post office under Spalding. Acres, 2, 761; of which 755 are water. ...


Pop., 549. Houses, 121. The property is divided among a few. There is a fen allotment; and on this were 155 of the pop. Fosdyke Wash is an arm of the sea, about 7 miles long, with a mean width of about 2 miles; and an embankment and a bridge were constructed across it, in 1814, by Mr. Rennie. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Algarkirk, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church has a pinnacled font, and is good. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Middlecott's alins-houses have £171; and other charities £50.

Fosdyke through time

Fosdyke is now part of Boston district. Click here for graphs and data of how Boston has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fosdyke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fosdyke, in Boston and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12274

Date accessed: 23rd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fosdyke ".