Place:


Dalton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dalton like this:

DALTON, a township in Rotherham and Thrybergh parishes, and a chapelry in Rotherham, Thrybergh, and Ecclesfield parishes, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 2 miles E of Rotherham; and includes the village of Dalton-Brook. The part of it in Thrybergh is known as Dalton-Magna; and the part in Rotherham, as Dalton-Par-Acres, 1, 400. ...


Real property, £2, 202; of which £269 are in quarries. Pop., 336. Houses, 75. The chapelry was constituted in 1850; and its post town is Rotherham. Rated property, £2, 230. Pop., 369. Houses, 79. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value. £200.* Patron, G. S. Foljambe, Esq. The church is good.

Dalton through time

Dalton is now part of Rotherham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rotherham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dalton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dalton, in Rotherham and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12263

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dalton ".