In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dalton like this:
DALTON, a township in Topcliffe parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on the Great North of England railway, 4¼ miles S of Thirsk. Acres, 1, 247. Real property, £1, 709. Pop., 307. Houses, 77. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dalton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hambleton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dalton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dalton, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 16th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dalton".